Saturday, June 09, 2007

Almost out of the woods...

It is so good to be home! The hospital is a wonderful place to be when you are sick, and very sick I was. My ulcerative colitis flared up again, which landed me in the hospital for a 4-day hospital stay. I am slowing regaining strength and gaining an appetite,which are wonderful things. I am tired of chicken broth, beef broth, mac and cheese, potato soup and other bland things. However, I am so grateful that I could eat even those things. I can't wait to be back to "normal" (whatever that is) and be able to read, study, work, do laundry, and clean house again. I have seen more doctors and PAs in the last week (I think I counted 17 total). They were all so nice and have given me a list of prescriptions a mile long that should get me going again.

One thing I really didn't care for while being hospitalized is the comments they made before drawing my blood. These 5 statements below were really told to me while I was in the hospital. I do not understand why they say things. For all you medical people out there, please remember to be a little more sensitive to your patients – especially things they have no control over, like the size of their veins!

Five things you should NEVER tell a patient before drawing blood:

  1. “Your veins are SO small!” Thank you – I asked for small veins you do realize.
  2. After much patting and tapping around on both of my arms, “I’ll give it a try, but I sure don’t know about this.” Now those are encouraging words!
  3. “Girl, you have got to get re-hydrated so we can find your veins!” That IS one reason I am in this hospital bed – I didn’t choose to be dehydrated!
  4. “I can’t seem to find any veins at all. I hate to do this to you, but I’m going to have to stick you right where they just took your IV out.” Great – go right ahead. Stick me wherever you want. At this point – it doesn’t matter.
  5. “You know what, for some reason your blood just stopped. I am so sorry, but I’m going to have to try sticking you in a new place.” Just great – thank you for telling me that my blood has stopped flowing. That really makes me feel better. Is death on the horizon since no blood is flowing?
Despite the "vein issues" and bruised arms, I did have really nice people that took care of me and lots of friends/family that came to see me and/or sent flowers. Most of all, thanks to everyone for praying for me. That meant the most. The flowers and cards make my mantel at home a cheery place to look.

14 comments:

Jana said...

Brenda,
I am SOOO glad you are doing better!! Thank the Lord!!! The "blood/vein" comments had me laughing out loud!!! (esp. #5) Why do they say things like that??? I think the "best/worst" comment I ever had was when I was in labor w/Khara and the nurse? lpn?? told me that my Dr. had lost 4 babies at full term in the past couple of months!! GRRRREAT!!! Just what I wanted to hear! Some people never cease to amaze you!! :-)

Nancy said...

Brenda, I'm SO glad you're feeling well enough to blog. I was so worried about you...especially after talking to your Mom this week. I did enjoy the "vein" statements....I've heard those exact same things. Every time I've had a baby, they would stick me over and over to get an IV started. Usually took about 3 people before they were successful. Then, even after they get it going, they mumble" well, I'm not sure this will work....we might have to try again later" ...oh great. At least I know I've got a partner in my misery. Anyway, I'm so glad you're on the mend. Let's hope this continues!!!

Les said...

I wondered what happened to you since you hadn't been around! I do hope you continue to feel better and quickly!
Now, as a medical person who can draw blood, I have been guilty of telling people they have small veins. If I kept feeling around on their arms, I like to let them know why. I think #4 was just trying to explain why you would be stuck in an already sensitive place, and #5 I've used that before too! Once again just trying to explain why I would remove the needle and start all over. I have awful veins and prefer the explaination. Next time (if there is one) just tell them to do what they have to do and do it quietly. It might work! I don't think they should ever tell anyone (or mutter) like #2 and #3!
Jana's nurse there was NO excuse for!!!

Dixie said...

Brenda,

I'm sorry to hear that you have not been well but am glad to hear that you are home and doing better. After reading your story about having your blood drawn, I am extremely grateful for my veins. I've never experienced anything like that but can only imagine how painful it must be to be stuck multiple times. I hope you are soon feeling much better.

Dixie

Carrie said...

Glad you're feeling better! I'd been wondering what was up!

Unknown said...

Brenda, I'm glad you're home and feeling better.

Kendall and Leanna said...

It's good to see you blogging again. :) Hopefully the worse is behind you. I've never drawn blood yet (lab people do it), but will remember your advice. Usually when I've started IV's I hear "oh you won't be able to get it the 1st time, everyone says I have small veins" It's great encouragement for me. :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you are on the mend.

Aimee said...

Oh Brenda! Feel better soon!

Martha C said...

Missed your blogging and am glad to see you are back!
I have the same problem with veins, but I also get grossed out as they are trying to get one. I usually have to close my eyes and try to control my churning stomach. Ick! Bad memories.

Anonymous said...

Grief! That was a great blog! Too bad you had to go to the hospital to get your funny comments about blood!!! Glad you are better!

The Dickinsons said...

Thanks Brenda for your nice comment on my TLC post on my blog.

Sorry to hear that you have been sick and in the hospital...how SAD!

I trust that you are feeling lots better by now!

Love, Heather =)

Phillip D said...

Brenda, I know you are a busy girl, but if you get a chance, would you come back to visit my TLC blog, and tell me which girl is who of that team. (Like, Elizabeth is first row, on the right, etc.) For, I'm dying to know which one is which. THANKS BUNCHES!!

Love, Heather =)

Erika said...

Brenda I an glad that you are doing better. I can totally relate to the vein thing:-) Thesse last few months every time I go to the doctor they want some more of my blood. And I have TERRIBLE veins!!!! This last time they had to go through a vein in the upper part of my arm. They decided this after sticking a needle in both of my elbows a moving it around trying to find one!!!! A week and a half later I still have a bruise the size of a quarter!!!
I can only imagine what your poor bruised arms look like!!!!