Monday, August 20, 2007

Turning the Tables (and Aaron's knee)

Now it's Aaron's turn to be the patient. Thursday night while Aaron was playing softball, he injured his knee. He was running from 3rd base to home, stopped and turned, and heard a loud pop (NOT a good thing)!

We found out that he has an ACL tear and an MCL tear. One ligament would be bad enough - but it's two! We saw two different orthopedic surgeons today to discuss the options. The plan for now is that he will have physical therapy for about 3 weeks and then surgery will be scheduled after that. I know that sounds backwards, but they want the swelling to go down first and also want to increase his range of motion in the knee which will get rid of some of the stiffness before surgery.

The biggest pain right now, Aaron said, was trying to maneuver on crutches. They certainly look a lot easier to use than they really are. He almost fell twice when he used them for the first time. Jeff and I were trying to stifle our laughter. When we went for his doctor visit today, I got a wheelchair for him and had quite a time trying to push him around. I was laughing so hard at one point that I was afraid they were going to admit me to the psych floor. It's harder to push a wheelchair than it looks, too! When I came home from church on Sunday, there was a grocery bag on the bed. He had wanted a drink and something to read, so had gotten up, found a plastic grocery bag, put a can of Coke in it with a newspaper and then tied the bag to his crutches to make it back to the bedroom. That would have been a funny sight! He's ready to invent something that will let you carry stuff around while you are on crutches. :-)

Kevin Moser (who has recently had ACL surgery) came over to look at the MRI images. It was certainly "all Greek" to us, but we sure tried to figure them out.

Aaron is very thankful for wireless internet. He's been surfing all over the place since he has a lot of time on his hands and can't get around as easily.

Kevin let us borrow this ice pump. You fill it up with ice and water and it pumps the ice water around Aaron's knee. It's been a life saver and certainly makes his knee feel better while keeping the swelling down too.


Aaron and I are getting a lot of practice taking care of each other. I didn't think this was supposed to start until we were old - but we'll certainly know what to do when we're in our 80's! I guess we're making lots of memories (although I prefer the less expensive memories). :-)

9 comments:

Jana said...

Poor Aaron, that is terrible!!!!! I did have to laugh over the "grocery bag incident". Hope all goes and heals as well and as soon as possible!!!

Dixie said...

Oh Brenda, that is awful. I hope Aaron will soon be feeling better.

Dixie

Martha C said...

Ouch!!! Feeling sorry for Aaron, but I had to chuckle at your experiences, Brenda. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda,
Hope you are holding up ok have to be nurse along with everything else you've got going!! SO SORRY to see Aaron laid up...Give him our "Get Well Soon" wishes.
Love, Seth and Natalie Herring

Janella Thompson said...

OUCH!!! but but had to laugh. I found out last fall the crutches are not easy thing. Thank God my ankel injury was not as serious as his. I will be praying for quick healing.

Kendall and Leanna said...

I don't know who to feel more sorry for, you or Aaron.:)jk, I'm sure you're taking very good care of him. Let us know when he'll have the surgery. ttyl

Greg & Stephanie said...

What our men won't sacrifice for softball! Greg's knees are finally healing-since he hasn't played in 3 weeks. :)

Les said...

OUCH!!!! My cousin (Martha's brother) was playing softball and going to third when his knee went. He just had the MRI yesterday and last I heard, it may be his quad muscle is torn. Maybe this sport is not safe for adult males!
I loved your pics below. The dad and baby about brought tears to my eyes!

Beth Hotchkiss-Yoder said...

Sorry to hear about Aaron. . . it's no fun I know. . . my husband had to sit around with his leg up this summer also. . .I loved the grocery bag incident also :) LOL