Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hittin' the Slopes!

Yes! We finally did it! Aaron and I went skiing today!!! Kevin Moser has been asking us for a few years now to give skiing a try, and so this year we finally did. We loved every minute of it - well, maybe not all the falls. We both fell more times than we can count, but so did all the other beginners! That's just part of it - you have to get out there and do it.

I was only really scared at one point - and I think it's only because of what someone was telling us. Aaron and I had gone through the lessons, practiced for quite a while on the bunny slope, did the beginner's hill a couple of times, and felt ready to go on to the next step. So, we did. Matt and Tara McCasland were with us and were great coaches. They had been watching us and said we were ready. We rode the lift up and at the very top of the hill we ran into a guy we knew. After chatting for a few minutes, he asked if we had done that particular hill before. When he discovered it was our first day skiing and our first time on that hill, his eyes got really big and said, "Oh, no - you're going to have problems!" We were thinking, "What!?" He went on to say that I would probably be okay, but since Aaron was bigger, the momentum he would pick up would make him go too fast and he would probably "run right into the line of people at the bottom of the hill." I am not kidding - those were his words exactly. We quickly said goodbye to him and were like, "Great! Here we are at the top of this "nightmare" hill and there was only one way to get down!" I was about ready to shove the guy off at the top if he wouldn't have stopped telling us all these horror stories. I'm not kidding - he was very serious. I "suppose" he meant well, but the damage was already done. Grrr! Matt and Tara told us to just forget what he had said, but that was a little bit hard to do. I was scared and there was no where to go but down. But, I told Aaron, the worse thing that can happen is . . . we'll fall! And we did! :-) But, we got back up and continued down the hill and had a blast! We ended up skiing that hill about 3 more times before it was time to go. We really enjoyed skiing and plan to go again. Thanks, Kevin, for insisting that we try! Here's some picture to prove it really happened!

What a fun day! I'd do it all over again!


Actually, getting off the lift is kind of difficult. Aaron would ride up with Matt so he could help him, and Tara would ride up with me to help me.
For non-skiers, the lift does NOT stop, you have to ski off of it - yes we both fell getting off of the lift. :-)

An "action" picture of Aaron!

Kristin and Mark Foster also skied for the first time today
(not many pictures of them since they had to leave early).


I would like everyone to notice the sign above Aaron's head.
We were advancing - whoo hoo!

This is a little far away (I wasn't about to get that close with my camera), but from left to right is Matt, Kevin, and Aaron.

It was VERY crowded on the slopes and in the ski lodge. We didn't know any different, but Kevin said it was the biggest crowd he had ever seen out there - at least 9,000 people!

Bless Tara's dear heart! She helped me so much and was very patient. She even waited for me while we laughed hysterically after my pitiful fall so she could help me get up. Honestly, the hardest thing I did all day was getting UP after a fall. Try doing that with 6-foot feet that are very slick on a hill!!!


15 comments:

Malcolm said...

Great photos! I also enjoyed reading the tale of your inaugural ski trip... Glad you had a good time.

Thanks again for letting us ride with you!

Dixie said...

It sounds like you all had a great time! I enjoyed the pictures.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I am glad you enjoyed it. :)I can't believe that guy said that. I would have been scared too.

Carrie said...

Sigh...it certainly looks like fun, but I'm sure by the time I got to the top I'd be scooting down on my posterior--too afraid to stand up (my confidence is shattered after the sledding excursion :( ).

On a different note, believe it or not, I could tell that was Kevin (in the faraway picture of the guys) before I saw your caption. Don't ask me how, because I don't know!

Jana said...

You are one brave gal!! Glad you had fun!!!

Char said...

You know what this means...start budgeting for passes now... the boys will be so happy to have others join the ski club...perhaps if I was younger and had just a hint of athleticism in me I'd try...it does sound like such fun

Martha C said...

Brenda, you are so brave! Troy and Kevin can beg all they want, but I am too fond of my bones to try it. I told Troy at least one of us should stay in an unmangled position since we have children. Glad you had fun.

skier1998 said...

Hey Brenda! It was great to ski with you at Saturday. You are a natural born skier. ;-) It really was a lot of fun hanging out with you and Aaron. (And getting a few laughs.) I love your pictures - especially you two with Center Stage in the background. Nice. Here are a few quotes I thought you might appreciate...

Skiing: the art of catching cold and going broke while rapidly heading nowhere at great personal risk. ~Author Unknown

There are really only three things to learn in skiing: how to put on your skis, how to slide downhill, and how to walk along the hospital corridor. ~Lord Mancroft, A Chinaman in the Bath, 1974

Brenda said...

Tara: I love the quotes - especially the first one! :-)

Janella Thompson said...

ok I would have had a heart attack!!! Sounds like fun though. Just don't know if I would ever get up the nerve. I can so see you laughing so hard you can't get up!! :)

Myranda said...

Hi, Brenda! Your pics look so fun. I dont ski, however, Nathan does and absolutely loves it. He does tend to live on the edge though - which is the way I see skiing! 8-)

Love checking out your blog. Keep up the good work.

Myranda Weaver (Miller)

Brenda said...

Hi, Myranda! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Leanna Pitcher said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for visiting my blog. I have been enjoying viewing yours as well. Keep up the blogging.

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that you had a good time on the slopes! I hope to see ya'll on the slopes next season!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I finally convinced you guys to try this! A few more times and you'll be taking the lift to the top! I don't know anything else that is more exhilarating and relaxing at the same time than skiing down a mountain with friends. I think we might have a couple of new members in the Aldersgate Ski Club next fall! Shhh. Listen! I think I can even hear the Colorado Rockies beckoning!