Sunday, February 10, 2008

I am so hooked!

OK. I've been doing this now for 3 weeks and since I'm now really hooked, I thought I'd share with everyone else. If you enjoy saving money - read on.

I love buying groceries on sale, but I don't like not knowing if the sale items are "good" or if it's just a gimmick to get you to buy. I also like using coupons, but dislike paying more with the coupon then the "everyday low price at Wal-Mart." Well, this website has solved all that for me: www.thegrocerygame.com.

Basically, the list tells you items on sale at "rock bottom" prices AND they match up these items with coupons from the paper, which obviously means you get some really good deals. Yesterday my bill at Kroger was $71.30 BEFORE I handed the cashier my stack of coupons (and yes it was quite a stack). After he rang all the coupons, my bill came down to $46.70. Now that's saving money! This is the 3rd week I've done this, and every week I've saved over $20.

In fact some items are completely free - really! For instance, this week at Kroger, 8 oz of Daisy sour cream was on sale for $1 AND I had a coupon for $1 off any Daisy product. Ta da = I got my sour cream for free. Of course the free items are the best, but I've only had 2-3 free items per week.

And yes, you do have to pay for the grocery list, but it's completely worth it to me. Right now I'm still in the "trial period" which is only $1 for 4 weeks. After that, it's $10 for 8 weeks (or more depending on how many stores you select).


It does take a while to cut out all the coupons, organize, and file them. But, if I can save this much money on our grocery bills, I'll happily keep clippin'.


11 comments:

Jana said...

Wow~ I can't wait to check this site out!! With the price of everything increasing, It would be great to find some great savings!!

Ronda said...

I have always thought that I, too, could get better deals at Walmart(or I have cut out coupons and then not used them!);however...it sounds like this is an excellent deal! You really saved! I am going to check it out! Thanks for sharing!(We love "Maggianos",too..cool place to celebrate!)

Char said...

Thank you - Brenda! I've been looking for a site like that and somehow missed it. I love coupons! Been thinking that we should start some type of coupon swap at church - I don't need the baby coupons but others do...how would you organize that?

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda
I don't think you know me, but I know Jenny Bailey. Where do you find is the best place to shop? Kroger or Walmart? I am definately going to look at the site. I am a coupon clipper also. I really hate throwing away ones I do not need, but cannot use them all :)

Brenda said...

Char - Swapping coupons is a neat idea. Especially for brands you don't use or things like pet food, etc. Maybe we could have a file box in a side room and people could contribute/take what they don't need/want.

Jackie - If the item is on sale AND I have a coupon, so far Kroger is better. I normally would never buy any toiletries at a grocery store like Kroger, but have discovered that sale + coupon = better than WalMart. That's probably not true across the board, but I'm really liked the prices I've seen in the last 3 weeks that I've been a member.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding :) have a fun day. Are you relation to Leah and Nathan? I went to church with the Randall's at Noblesville Pilgrim.

Greg & Stephanie said...

Are these coupons store-specific, or could I just make a list, price match them all at WalMart, and use my coupon? I hate going to 3 or 4 different stores, but would do it in a heartbeat if the coupons can be used anywhere!

Brenda said...

Jackie - Leah is my husband's cousin.

Stephanie - The coupons are from the Sunday paper and are not store specific. However, since Walmart typically doesn't have sales, I've found most things better at Kroger when you stack the coupon AND the sale. I don't like running around either, so I just stick to Kroger.

Greg & Stephanie said...

Sounds great! Just remember - WalMart will match anyone's sale price...just make a grocery list, write the name of store and sale price beside the item on your list, and tell the WalMart cashier that you're price-matching. You can get sales from all of the ads at one place and use the coupon. This also applies to non-grocery items...if Meijer has a DVD, lamp, picture frame, etc. on sale, WalMart matches the sale price. If it is a store brand sale, Kroger brands, etc., you can match the WalMart brand. They even match Aldi's special purchase sales! It's great!

Les said...

Thanks! I need to try this!

Bryan and Marsha said...

Hey, get unhooked and update this blog! Possibly the most boring picture you ever took, but it does illustrate the point.