Friday, December 14, 2007

I love old people!

Wednesday night our young adult Sunday School class went caroling at a local nursing home. We had so much fun! Some nursing homes I've been to in the past have made me a little nervous, but these people were great. They were SO excited to have us there and sang the carols right along with us. At the beginning of our very first song, one lady really started crying. She was sitting there in her wheelchair with tears silently pouring down her face. It made me sad and glad at the same time. They loved having us there. We sang for quite a while and then spent time talking to each one. Nathan Dahler had arranged this since he used to work there, and he told us that these nursing home patients would talk about this event for the next 2 months. Wow! I'm so glad we did this.


We loved the lady in purple on the right - she was so "fixy" it was hilarious. Really, check our her hot pink hat, nails, jewelry, and blue watch!

I was fascinated with this lady - she spoke French!

This dear lady captured Kelly and Emilie.



This man would direct us while we sang in his room. (Mr. Wolf would be proud of his wide-open mouth!)

And Dakota was fascinated with this man's wheelchair! :

Oh - the stories they could tell if only someone would listen!

5 comments:

Jana said...

What a ministry--that's great!! I guess the last time I was at a nursing home was when Mark sat down in a recliner (where we had our services) and realized that his pants were getting soaked, from a source he could not identify. That was the last straw for him (nursing homes made him a little "squemish" already). That was the last.....:-) They are very interesting places!!!

Jana said...

What a ministry--that's great!! I guess the last time I was at a nursing home was when Mark sat down in a recliner (where we had our services) and realized that his pants were getting soaked, from a source he could not identify. That was the last straw for him (nursing homes made him a little "squemish" already). That was the last.....:-) They are very interesting places!!!

Dixie said...

What a blessing I am sure you all were to them. Too many times I think we get so busy with life that we forget about those in nursing homes. When I was in school at GBS I enjoyed going to the Nursing Home for Sunday afternoon services. They were always so grateful for one having come to spend a little time sharing with them.

Judith Atnip said...

Brenda,
Hey, what nursing home was it?
We used to go to one when I was a GBS that was fun. There was one lady there that was over 100, and I really enjoyed her. Then there was a man that one of your pictures reminded me of that was there too. It has been about 16 and 1/2 years ago though. Surely, the same people wouldn't be there.
Judith

Nancy said...

I wish we could have been able to be 2 places at once! This looks so fun! Glad you all had a good time and were a blessing at the same time!